8/17/09

His Grace is Sufficient

My dad has been preaching on the Holy Spirit for the past several weeks and one thing he has taught is that the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Grace. There is so much contained in that little word. Have you ever taken the time to reflect on how much grace God has given you? I have really meditated on that for the past several days and I am overwhelmed with the grace of God. There are many definitions of grace but I guess the one that I love the most is this, "Grace is the unmerited, undeserved favor of God on a life." When I deserved justice, I was given grace. When I deserved punishment, I was given grace. When I deserved death, I was given grace. Grace gives me power and ability to live the Christ-like life. It is by grace that we are saved. What an awesome gift of God! Whatever you may be facing in your life, be assured that there is grace waiting for you. Sometimes God will allow trials and even suffering so that we might learn with Paul that His grace is sufficent. Remember Paul's words, inspired by the Holy Spirit of Grace, in 2 Corinthians 12: 7-9, To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. How comforting to know that His grace is sufficient everyday and in every situation. There is a little chorus that I heard a while back and it has been playing in my mind lately to remind me that no matter what I am going through, I can trust the grace of God. When it seems like your world is falling apart, remember that His grace is enough to see you through. What amazing grace!
Lord, I am broken
My life is in pieces
But your strength is perfect
In all of my weakness.

No comments: