6/2/09

A Tribute to Johnny

It's been several weeks since I posted anything new. Life has been a little busy lately. I have just returned home from Colorado where I spent two weeks with my family celebrating my oldest nephew's graduation from high school. High School graduations are always inspiring but I don't think I have ever attended one as uplifting and gratifying as this one. You see my nephew, Johnny, was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in February of this year. With the diagnosis came the realization that his goal of obtaining first place in the state track meet was probably going to go unrealized. He has trained relentlessly for two years improving his technique and his time with the goal of winning state his senior year of high school. Needless to say, once chemotherapy started his strength and his energy deteriorated to the point where he could not even practice with the team. He had to sit back and watch his younger brother continue to train and ultimately take fifth place in the Colorado state track meet. I don't think Jacob had a bigger fan than his older brother. Johnny encouraged his brother and was truly excited for him and his success. Even though his senior year did not end the way he had anticipated, I could not be prouder of him. On the night of his graduation, he stepped up to the podium and gave a eloquent speech thanking his family, his teachers, his friends and challenging us all to never give up and to always trust God. Of course, we were all in tears. What God has done in his life in eighteen short years is truly amazing and I am excited about what is still to come for him. His chemotherapy treatments are done and his cancer is gone. He still has radiation treatments ahead of him, but I am confident that God will complete His perfect work in Johnny's life - just as He will in all our lives. God has blessed me with a nephew who is a beautiful reminder to me that we have a God who loves us and who will see us through even the worst of circumstances. I pray that you will rest in the truth of God's word that "blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence." Jeremiah 17:7. Amen.

No comments: